Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Proud to be an American


Mrs. C assigned a paper with the title, "I'm Proud to Be An American" and asked the students to write a 1 page essay and draw pictures that represent their pride in their country. They were asked to describe all the things they love about America - places, people, foods, freedoms, etc. - in preparation for Sept. 11th and our upcoming social studies unit on foundations of democracy. As I mentioned, we brainstormed ideas in class yesterday, and the papers are due tomorrow. I saw some really great, creative rough drafts today lauding everything from McDonalds and ToysRUs to backyard bbqs with family and Philadelphia's monuments and museums. Some included wiser-than-their-years sentences about freedom of speech, freedom of religion, the right to vote, the right to public education, etc. I was impressed. We also received this letter:

Dear Mrs. C:
How are you? Fine, I hope!
This letter is in response to a project your class is working on about being proud to be an American. I think my son is not old enough to understand what this statement means. My wife and I have always talked to our children about the good and bad of living in America, especially for African Americans. We believe when they are of an appropriate age to really understand this country in which they were born in, then with the right information and knowledge, a question like that can be probably addressed.
I don't agree with this part of his homework assignment. Thank you for your time.
Mr. and Mrs. _______


I wish I could tell this couple that their fourth grade son has better grammar than they do, but that is beside the point. We are assigning the kid an alternate assignment ("I am proud of my family because...", rather than "I am proud to be an American because..."). Mrs. C says that some things (and most parents) just aren't worth fighting. She's probably right - but I still feel frustrated.

In our Social Studies Methods course this summer we discussed the importance of teaching students to participate in democracy - to understand our nation, its system of government, and its history. To appreciate the good, and to work to change the bad. Even in fourth grade kids are capable of thinking critically about current events, government, human rights, and politics - and it seems like Mrs. C expects them to. This is the first of many conversations we will be having about America this year. If we don't embark on that learning journey together, then how are we ever going to fully prepare our youngest Americans for the future?

1 comment:

ms. mindless said...

hey there! i found your blog today. i'll keep reading. another book to add to your book list: The Failures of Integration: How Race and Class are Undermining the American Dream by Sheryll Cashin.